Bacon + Cheddar + Sweet Viking™ Relish = Perfection.
Add in some hot melty butter on top and you're in business, kid.
6 slices of bacon, diced or crumbled
4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1.5 teaspoon salt
2-4 tablespoons Sweet Viking™ Relish
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup unsalted butter, frozen
1.5 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 450º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Cook that bacon up in a pan or in the oven beforehand, whatever works best for you. Transfer cooked bacon a paper towel lined plate and drain excess fat. If you didn't dice it beforehand, you can just crumble it once it's cooked.
3. In a large bowl, combine bacon, flour, cheese, parsley, baking powder, pepper, salt, baking soda and garlic powder and mix well.
4. Grate the frozen butter using the large holes on a box grater and mix it into the flour mixture, add buttermilk and stir gently with a rubber spatula until a soft dough forms.
5. Lightly flour your counter and dump the dough out and begin gently kneading the dough (3-4 times) until it comes together into a nice consistency. DO NOT over knead, you want that butter to stay cold to make the layers.
6. Roll out and cut into 2" biscuit rounds, or whatever size you'd prefer--please note size can affect baking times.
7. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet and place into freezer for 15 minutes--pull out of freezer and bake for 15-17 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm with butter.